Monday, May 12, 2008

Late to the Calacanis Effigy-Burning

For those of you who enjoy reading about the world of software and the state of the art in software engineering, two articles for you. I ran into this through my good buddy Mel Norbeck after our VP Social Media and resident podcaster, Aaron Strout, announced an upcoming interview with Jason Calacanis.

I wish that I had found this earlier, so that I could properly rip Calacanis for his "fire people who are not workaholics" gem. Fortunately, the folks at 37 Signals spoke out on behalf of all of us software professionals who think that software business owners (particularly those that don't understand the craft) are dopes. In fairness, much of his article makes sense, but the workaholics comment is the sort of thinking that has plagued us for the last 15 years and allows idiots at the C-level to think that working hard is REALLY more important than working smart. This kind of thinking is why I will have to run my own business someday, just to have a decent place to work.

Enjoy the read.

http://www.calacanis.com/2008/03/07/how-to-save-money-running-a-startup-17-really-good-tips

http://www.37signals.com/svn/posts/902-fire-the-workaholics

Cheers - cause I'm so British,
tango

1 comment:

Ben Martin said...

Overall, excellent ideas contributed by both sides.