Friday, May 15, 2009

Tango's continuing saga towards a Masters in Religion: Jeremiah 22:20-23

For those interested in my carrying-ons at the graduate school level, I just completed my final paper for my course on the book of Jeremiah. My paper topic considered the identification and interpretation of Jeremiah 22:20-23. The text is a 4-verse section in a 3 chapter portion of the scroll that focuses on messages to the kings of Judah in Jeremiah's day. I'm arguing (unfortunately not definitively) that this section of verses should be linked to the previous section (Jeremiah 22:13-19) for dating and audience - at least in it's written form.

http://www.javabrewery.com/joel/papers/Jeremiah_22_20-23.pdf

Exciting stuff, huh?

Well... I enjoy it.

I ended the paper with the following quote from the previous verses. It's Jeremiah's message to the king of that day, Jehoiakim. His father (Josiah) was a good man, but Jehoiakim was a greedy and selfish leader. It's a good word to all of living in a day of plenty:

Does it make you a king
to have more and more cedar?
Did not your father have food and drink?
He did what was right and just,
so all went well with him.
He defended the cause of the poor and needy,
and so all went well.
Is that not what it means to know me?"
declares the LORD.

Jeremiah 22:15-16

Cheers - cause I'm so British,
tango

No comments: